Friday, April 11, 2008

Sweet Revelations

How many times have we faced incredible stress, pressure, frustration, fear or disappointment as a result of a failed attempt to have or accomplish something? How often have we sought the comfort of our loved ones, yearned to receive advice from our friends, or endeavored to overcome the feelings of defeat? Now, think about it for a moment. What are some common words of encouragement/advice that we have ALL heard or received at some point in our lives? Here are a few I was able to come up with:

1) You can do anything you put your mind to.
2) Your frowns will become smiles. You can get through this.
3) Don't worry about what other people think or say about you.
4) Keep your head up.

When we are in an optimistic state of mind and we happen to hear these encouraging words, whether we're at church or watching Oprah, we become a part of the A-men choir who chants and cheers along with the messenger. We agree with what is being said and we know it's true because we are witnesses to those truths. So, what happens to that same confidence when someone tells us Comment #1, after we've been turned down for a second job interview? Why do we have trouble receiving comment #2 when a loved one passes away? Why does Comment #3 offer little hope when we know we are being judged by others for our mistakes? And how do we believe Comment #4 when our circumstances tell us we are broke and there's no money in the bank?

I have come to the conclusion for myself that the reason I've had problems applying those same words of encouragement during those times I couldn't see past my hurts is because I failed to internalize that God's word, just like Jesus, is the same yesterday, today and forever. I failed to realize that any and every question, problem or concern that we can possibly think of or experience is covered in God's word. I didn't really know that until God opened my eyes yesterday. (see 4/10/08 Blog.)

I began thinking about advice I use to give my friends before I was saved, and I see how God was using me even before I knew it. There were times when I told my friends Comment # 1 (see top of this page), and I took the credit for it. My friends would say "Thanks for the advice," and I'd respond, "You're welcome. Any time you need me I'm here." I had no idea that there was nothing original about the words of comfort that I had offered. I had no idea that any good advice that I was giving, that any of us were giving and taking credit for, had already been offered by God the Father, in His word.
------------------------------------------------------------------
For all the "good" common advice we've given or received, surely, there is a Bible verse that correlates with them all. Many times, songwriters attempt to advise their listeners and fans, believing they've come up with this message of hope. Some of them don't realize they're delivering a Biblical message, or maybe they know but just don't feel the need to give God credit. Help me search for scriptures that correlate with the messages conveyed in the following song titles, described as among the top 100 inspirational songs for teenagers.
1. I can See Clearly Now.....Johnny Nash
2. I Believe I Can Fly....R. Kelly
3. Lean On Me....
4. I Believe....Fantasia
5. Hero....Mariah Carrey
6. Man in The Mirror....Michael Jackson

Sometimes, we will find that there are songs that appear inspiring and uplifting, but when we get to a certain place in our walk with God, he shows us that many of these songs, which offer advice, do not contain Biblical messages. In fact, some of them are a direct contrast to what the Bible tells us. When I was a little girl, two of my favorite songs were "We Are the World" and "The Greatest Love of All." You can imagine the enlightenment I experienced when I learned otherwise.

No comments: