Sunday, July 13, 2008

Give God Credit

Right now, I am sitting on the floor at the Columbia Metropolitan Airport in Columbia, SC, drinking a cup of coffee and eating a few cookies. (Sidenote: Yesterday, I told myself I wouldn't eat sweets for the next two weeks.) Anyway, according to my plane ticket and reservations that I made months in advance, I should be arriving in Newark, NJ any minute now. But I'm not. And, I say, "To God be the Glory."

All around me, patrons are angry. People have called loved ones and friends on their cell phones to rant, rave, and vent about the unfortunate circumstances of the severe delay; yet, I say, "To God be the Glory." One girl, sitting a few seats down from where I'm nestled in the corner, has cursed the pilot, airline, stewardess and anyone else who is even remotely involved in this delay. I wanted to reach out and touch her on the shoulder and say, "Sweetheart, to God be the Glory, for He is with us this day." I wish I had the nerve and a microphone, so I could just stand up and say, "Relax everybody. Don't you see that God deserves a little credit for intervening," but I'm not quite that bold yet. So, I've prayed for everyone here and asked the Lord to deliver a Spirit of calmness and serenity in this place.

O.kay, here's what happend. Flight 3114 was on time. After about half an hour, they reported that there were a few issues with the runway length and luggage weight. Airplante talk for "We're behind schedule." Finally, we board the small jet plane, and I'm happy and quite comfortable in the single seat I reserved months prior. After another 35 minutes or so of waiting, almost falling asleep, listening to a few tracks on the Ipod, the pilot announces that we have a small problem. His friendly youthful face and bald head, shone from the front of the plane, and he said, "Guys, I've got to face you when I tell you this." He proceded to tell us that a pipe was broken/missing/in need of repair, I don't know, I can't remember. Anyway, he told us that we'd all have to deplane. Boy, the people were so disgusted. How dare we be inconvenienced like this, was the tone in the atmosphere. Then, I figured, Maybe I'm the strange one. Afterall, I don't feel inconvenienced. I feel quite blessed myself. I concluded, immediately, "Wow. God loves us so much that He made it so that the problem would be found before take off, and not discovered 45 minutes later 3,000 miles above sea level. How awesome is God? I just wish there was a way for me to get the others to see this. Afterall, once everything is fixed, I've got to get on the plane with these people, and it would be nice to know that I'm not the only person who isn't mad at God on that plane.
Some people might say, "Yeah, well, you must not be inconvenienced as much as I am." For the record, my flight from Newark to Syracuse, NY leaves in about 30 minutes. Which means I won't get to Syracuse in time to catch the shuttle. Which means I've got to pay over one hundred dollars for a cab ride to my destination in Hamilton, NY. Nevertheless, TO GOD BE THE GLORY.

No comments: